Whispers of a Machine
By: Raw Fury / Clifftop Games / Faravid Interactive
Whispers of a Machine is the latest point-and-click adventure from Kathy Rain developer Clifftop Games and publisher Raw Fury. It’s a sci-fi Nordic noir mystery in which you play as Vera Englund, a cybernetically enhanced special agent who has to investigate a string of murders. You have a number of useful tools at your disposal, but knowing when to use them can be tricky. This walkthrough guide should help you if you get stuck. Feel free to ask for extra help in the comments section.
Depending on the answers you choose, you’ll craft Vera’s personality towards one of three traits:
Empathetic, Assertive, Analytical
The Blue reacts to your decisions. When you advance one personality trait, you weaken the other two. This will affect the course of the story and the tools at your disposal. I played straight Empathetic on my first playthrough and it seems to be the easiest route. I replayed it with the Analytical and Assertive skills, so all solutions should be here now. If you need extra help or a hint, you can ask for help in the comments section.
As a cybernetically enhanced agent, you have some tools you can use:
– Forensic Scanner: Use this to scan blood, DNA, fingerprints. Once you collect some samples for the data vault, you can enter Targeted Mode to find that particular sample among many others. This is useful for finding specific fingerprints or footprints.
– Biometric Analyser: This allows you to tell if someone’s calm, anxious, etc. If you keep it open while talking to someone, you can detect anomalies. That usually shows they’re lying about something. Tap/click on the anomaly to catch it and ask them about it.
– Muscle Boost: This gives you super strength for a limited time. It recharges pretty quickly, so don’t worry too much about trying it out a lot.
– (Empathetic) Amnesia: Inflicts short-term memory loss on a target. Use this if someone’s not being cooperative because of something they remember.
– (Empathetic) Mimicry: Mimic a person, copying their appearance and voice. You can only copy one person at a time and you need to change into them out of their sight.
– (Assertive) Energize: Create momentary electric current in electronic devices or give living things a sudden burst of energy. This is a weird one, especially when used on people.
– (Assertive) Mind Control: Remote control a person. Only simple actions can be performed, such as walking around and moving objects. When controlling a person, tap/click on Vera to give them one of her items. This only works if the game has acknowledged that they need something from her. You can also drag something from the person’s inventory over to Vera or use it on something in the environment.
– (Analytical) Enhanced Vision: Augmented eyesight with telescopic zoom and night vision.
– (Analytical) Cloak: Temporary invisibility. Touching a tangible object or activating another augmentation will break the effect.
– Regeneration: You can temporarily heal wounds. This comes much later in the game.
Click on the little numbers below to continue to the next page of the walkthrough or click here.